My mom was a victim of a loan modification scam and wasn't aware of this loan til we received a 1099c from the IRS in 2013.It is now 2017 and we are getting ready to sell that property and tried to get a letter from Ditech that this loan has been charged off.

Apparently this person that my mom knew made a second mortgage on the house and got 100k from the equity. I called them and they informed me that the loan has been written off and they no longer are collecting on that debt. So I figured that was the end of it. Now that we are selling the property they are trying to say that they made a mistake and that they will need to change the 1099 and we owe them the 99k balance on the loan.

Is this for real??After they have already reported it to the o IRS and we had to pay taxes on it???

Review about: Ditech Home Loan.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

Had an Experience with Ditech?

Comments

The issue is they wrote the loan off as a loss already to the IRS.I think this would be double dipping.

You should contact a tax person that can help you. Get your whole Master File from Ditech and see what's in it.

Make sure they didn't leave anything out of the file.They'll screw you anyway they can for a buck.